Monday 12 July 2010

Shrek 4 Review

Shrek Four, Shrek For...ever after, Shrek for...fucks sake.

Another cash in sequel seeing further deterioration of the experience once so great. The Shrek world is still enchanting, with little gem ideas like the pied piper being a bounty hunter but remember this film is a family comedy...and in that, it fails.

'Shrek' was a great film. Promising a family comedy, it charmed everyone with its world and alternative take on fairy tale characters (which admittedly I still love), and made the whole family laugh from start to finish. 'Shrek 2' was marginally inferior, but still great and pretty much saw start to finish laughter for all. 'Shrek 3' was strictly OK but the franchise was definitely stale then, it was dead and had overstayed its welcome, with little laughter. 'Shrek 4' is now the decomposing corpse of a once great franchise. Now I must give it credit for giving the kids the occasional laugh and on a personal level I enjoy the 'It's a Wonderful Life' plot (with a pretty damn good villain), but I did not laugh once!

Alas, poor Shrek! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know
not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your
gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment,
that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen?
Now get you to my lady's chamber, and tell her, let
her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must
come; make her laugh at that.

Yeah I think the bard said it best.

I comedy that only gave even young ones a few laughs, is not really recommendable. If I were to give it a score (which I rarely do), it would be a 4 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment